Join other PMs in Ontario to network, get PDU's, prizes, food and more.
Procept Associates Ltd. is the primary sponsor and organizer of the International PM Day celebrations in Toronto. This 1-day mini-conference takes place on the first Thursday of November each year. It is just one way that Procept gives back to the PM community in gratitude for helping to make Procept a success.
The event will be held on November 1st at North York Memorial Community Hall (Burgundy Room A) located at 5110 Yonge St., just steps away from North York Civic Centre and North York Centre subway station on the Yonge line. Admission is a nominal $25 to cover catering -- mention it to your friends. (And, yes, you get PDUs, CEUs and other professional recertification credits for attending.)
In addition, the final round of the 2018 International PM Paper Competition will be held during this event. Students of project management at the college or university level compete for cash and prizes by writing research papers analyzing real-world projects. Shortlisted teams are invited to deliver a brief presentation on their paper and answer questions from a panel of judges and a live audience. Teams are marked on both the content of their presentations and how well they respond to questions. The announcement of the winning team will be made at the end of the day.
8:15 – 9:00 am Registration & continental breakfast
9:00- 9:15 am Welcome
President’s Message – Kevin Aguanno
9:15– 10:15 am Start with Success! – Reg Scotland
In the Project Initiation Phase, perils and pitfalls can lead to downstream difficulties as a project progresses. Learn how to avoid these and how effective Initiation can set up your project for overall success. Initiation is an opportunity to confirm a project is ready to move forward, including: Ensuring that the Business Case is still valid; identifying the sponsors, both formal and informal; confirming the project manager’s roles and responsibilities; identifying and engaging stakeholders; obtaining approval of the Project Charter.
At the end of the session participants will understand:
10:15 – 10:25 am Break
10:25– 10:45 am PM Paper Competition Group #1
10:45– 11:45 am Setting the Ground Work: Working in and Leading a Virtual Team – Deborah Fletcher
Virtual teams are no longer individuals living in remote areas. Virtual teams can be those in the building next door or even the office across the hallway. Making and managing the transition from traditional models of organizational operations to a virtual environment requires a strong foundation of trust, communication, and camaraderie; all capabilities this session will teach you. Participants in this workshop will learn how to communicate effectively within a virtual team setting and build a cohesive team that best facilitates communication and collaboration among virtual team members.
At the end of the session participants will be able to:
11:45 am – 12:00 pm – Break
12:00 pm – 12:20 pm PM Paper Competition Student Presentation Group #2
12:20 – 1:00 pm Lunch - Networking
1:00 – 2:00 pm Everything I learned about Leadership is from Volunteering – Peter Monkhouse
How do you become a good leader? PMI has recognized leadership as one of the three dimensions of the project management talent triangle, and PMI’s research is showing leadership skills are important for project success. Certainly, there are tools and techniques that you can learn in classes that help develop your leadership skills, but nothing beats being able to practice the skills. In this session, Peter will share his thoughts, based on over 25 years of volunteering, on key leadership skills that you can develop through volunteering and how you can transfer these skills to your professional career.
2:00 – 2:15 pm Break
2:15 – 3:15 pm - Why are PMO’s failing? – David Donaldson
25% of PMOs fail in their first year. This rate of failure continues in years two and three, leaving 75% of PMOs closed after just three years (Duddy & Perry, 2010). Too often, PMOs focus on process, defining success as on-time and on-budget. By so doing, they become regulators, enforcing strict methodologies and reporting, a tactic that continues to prove itself ineffective. If we want to improve our track record, we need to shift our focus to providing value. When a project is delivered on time, on budget and to spec, but the resulting product or process is not embraced by its users, the project has failed to deliver value. This interactive session will look at Change Management strategies that can be employed, at both the PMO and PM levels, to help ensure that value is delivered and projects are successful.
3:15 – 3:40 pm PM Paper Competition Group #3
3:40 – 3:45 pm Break
3:45 – 4:00 pm Awards & Wrap up